BookEnds BookDrives give student volunteers experience with leadership and community service work and the opportunity to experience the impact of their labor. Student volunteers create marketing campaigns and collect, sort and personally deliver the donated books. Donors and recipients have the opportunity to share their love of books by reading together. The creation of quality libraries results in the encouragement of a passion for reading and a greater understanding of each other.
The BookEnds' program incorporates The Search Institute's* identification of 40 Developmental Assets that provide the essential building blocks for young people to grow up healthy, caring and responsible.
- development of empowerment through service to others
- constructive use of time through youth programs
- positive values through caring and social justice
- development of social competencies including planning and decision making
- positive identity through a sense of purpose
- Selection of donors
- Introduction of the book drive
- Organization of the book drive
- Collection of books by student volunteers
- Sorting of books by student volunteers
- Delivery of books by student volunteers
*The Search Institute is a leading global innovator in discovering what children and adolescents need to become caring, healthy and responsible adults. Drawing on extensive research, Search Institute brings hopeful solutions to pressing challenges in the lives of young people and their communities.